Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Talkin Bout My Generation

One thing I’ve learned about marketing is that it’s never wrong. So when all the ads and posters for Garden State say that it is “the movie of our generation” and “The Graduate for the 2000’s” I have to believe that they are right. So with that in mind, I now realize that I need to maybe reassess what I thought I knew about “my generation”. I thought I had a pretty good handle on who “we” are, but after seeing the film I’m not so sure. Using only the movie, and specifically Zach Braff’s character as he is supposed to represent “us” (I think), as my reference material, here is what I have been able glean about “our generation”:

*We think Natalie Portman is hot.
Well, duh. My enjoyment of the movie was actually hampered by the fact that about halfway through, the thought occurred to me, “I wonder if Zach Braff created this movie as nothing more than elaborate excuse to make out with Natalie Portman”. As soon as that thought came into my head I just couldn’t shake it and the longer the movie went on the more and more I started to think that I might actually be right. If you think I’m crazy because of the fact that I was actually legitimately considering this, then consider the fact that as I was walking out of the theater I overheard two different guys engaged in two completely different conversations proposing the exact same theory. Also consider the fact that you are clearly not a straight male.

(On a related note, one of the previews was for Closer in which, if I saw it correctly, Natalie Portman plays a stripper. Yes that’s right, a stripper. I know the movie doesn’t come out until Friday December 3rd and all, but I think I can already pretty safely say- “Best. Movie. Ever.”)

*We are overly and unnecessarily medicated, unfeeling zombies.
Yes.

*We have to try really, really hard to be “different” and “eccentric”.
This was my main problem with the movie.

(And for those of you wondering, my overall review of the flick is that it was good but disappointing. Not disappointing on a Road to Perdition level but disappointing enough I don’t know if I would run out to see it again. But nevertheless you should go see it because it is still pretty good.)

All the "kookiness" and "eccentricity" seemed so forced and inorganic, like they sat around in a room and made of list of things that would make the movie seem “quirky” and then just inserted them into the film haphazardly. Sadly, this is pretty indicative of our generation. Think about the great lengths many of us go to seem “different” and “interesting”. It even seems like we have now come to embrace this great expenditure of effort as though it were true organic quirkiness. For proof of this look further then the outpouring of love for Napoleon Dynamite. (By the way, Napoleon Dynamite, Wes Anderson called and he wants his movie back…)

*We like the Shins.
Now this I was unaware of. And I’m none too happy to hear about it. I always used to hate those people who would be pretentious about their favorite bands and view anyone who hadn’t listened to them since their very first underground LP or whatever as not being true fans. My thinking use to be, "If you really like a group wouldn’t you want them to be universally loved and popular?" I mean I still hold out hope that Third Eye Blind will become huge again. But now older and wiser I hate to say it, but I understand. I’ve already come to grips with the fact that most people think Outkast just appeared out of nowhere sometime around “Ms. Jackson” (seriously people, "ATLiens" is by far the best thing they’ve ever done…), and I am able to restrain myself from saying “I listened to Maroon 5 two Decembers ago” by remembering that I always said that they would be huge radio stars if there was any justice in the world. But now I don’t know how I’m going to deal with THIS. I’ve always felt very possessive towards the Shins. They are “that band” for me. The band you don’t want anyone else to know about. Your little secret. "Oh, Inverted World" was the soundtrack of my freshman year, a time when I never once heard another living soul mention the name the Shins. So while it was cool beyond words to see Zach Braff riding down the street on the big screen to the sounds of “Caring is Creepy” it was also disconcerting. Because now the secret is out (as if it wasn’t already…). Now they are apparently the band of our generation.

*We like to reference. And pay homage to. And show you that we know about things. And generally be unoriginal.
Zach Braff plays a quiet, lost, short, dark haired, guy who has just returned home after being away for a while. He feels disconnected from the world around him. He is young and unexperienced. (his name is Andrew Largeman. Largeman, get it? What, Andrew Emotionallyunderdevelopedmanchild was taken?) Starting to sound familiar? Here need some help? Simon and Garfunkle underscore the key moment of the main character’s development. Get it now don’t you? Isn’t that clever. It’s like The Graduate only it’s a completely different movie and there’s no older lady. But still wasn’t that clever how they slyly evoke an older classic film with similar themes so that you the audience can sit there and think “hey I get the subtle homage to The Graduate they’ve got going here. Aren’t I smart and knowledgeable! I GET it!” Putting aside completely that The Graduate has maybe the best ending in the history of film and Gardens State’s ending, well, not to give it away, but, not so great, the two films are still worlds apart. But our generation likes to see things that we already know. Recycling is the new originality (See also: thrift stores, nostalgia, etc.). And while Garden State doesn’t pander and make us feel dumb, it tries to make us feel smart for no other reason then it wants us to feel smart, and isn’t that after all just pandering by a different name?

*Our parents are either dead, drug addicts, or played by hobbits.
This was news to me.

So there you have it: our generation as shown by Garden State. And Garden State’s portrayal is a completely accurate one. I know this because the marketing told me so. And I’m inclined to believe that the image they crafted for this film is a truthful one, and I will go with that inclination. Even though there is a small part of me that thinks image is nothing and I should just obey my thirst.

No comments: